Saturday, January 21, 2012

Coming to Terms With Weirdness

Something finally occurred to me a few days ago.

I am a weirdo.

This will not come as a surprise to a LOT OF PEOPLE. But it did to me. No, I'm not kidding you. It's sort of like when I was living in Atlanta and somebody came up to me and told me that I was Hispanic. I was like... what? Huh? I'm Hispanic? And then I looked in the mirror... and what do you know! I'm kinda brown! Just hadn't occurred to me, I guess.

(Actually, I'm only a quarter Hispanic. I'm a quarter Japanese too, and then half English/Irish, with a little Cherokee thrown in. I AM the melting pot, baby. But the Hispanic genes dominate when it comes to my luscious tan. And my last name IS Ramirez. I shoulda known...)

Anyway. So I'm weird, too, on top of all the rest of that. My reaction was this:

'Dangit! Now I'll never be taken seriously!'

Before, I was trying, really hard, to be taken seriously, for some reason that I have already forgotten. Oh yeah, I want to be a professional writer of fiction. Somehow that translated into 'I need to be taken seriously.' But if I'm already a weirdo... well, what's the point? Yah. There isn't one. So I'm just going to embrace it and hope that I can be a professional writer of fiction anyway.

It's freeing, in a way. Like going to the grocery store in your moose and cherry pajamas because you just don't give a crap any more. Or eating garlic even though you know it gives you garlic breath. Or singing at the top of your lungs with the windows rolled down while you don't even notice that people on the street are staring at you because you're having so much fun. I mean... so what? As a long-ago friend of mine used to say, 'Normal is only a setting on a washing machine.'

:) A nerd, a writer, and a weirdo. What luck! I think I'll even change my profile to reflect this new discovery. If you or someone you love is struggling with weirdness... stop it. Right now. Let it flow. There will still be people who love you. I love you. And I can say that, because I am a weirdo. And weirdos can say whatever they want. So there.

1 comment:

  1. HEY! I got your comment and didn't know "inkpop" existed! I was meaning authonomy.com. Inkpop is more for YA, which I should have started with! But authonomy is well maintained and a great community!

    ReplyDelete