Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Create Your Own Unique Rodentia (And Other Things)

Recently I listened to a great podcast episode on creating animal and plant life to populate your sci-fi and fantasy worlds. It gave me some good insights.

I really like this podcast anyway - Writing Excuses, with Brandon Sanderson, Howard Tayler, Dan Wells, and Mary Robinette Kowal. It's the latest episode (season 7, episode 2) and it's called 'World Building Flora and Fauna'. You can find it at www.writingexcuses.com or download the podcast episode for free at iTunes. It's entertaining, short, and every once in a while there's a gem of information in there that you can add to your writing.

For example: for this post they suggested that you name your fictional plant or animal something descriptive: an example they gave was 'barkmelon.' You can totally picture that, huh? I liked it. So yesterday I was writing a scene involving household rodents, and I thought to myself 'Well, I can make these be mice, or... I can do something new and different.'

I went with the new and different direction (of course!) and came up with something that I loved, that fit the role of the necessary rodent but was also new and strange. But... it's a secret. Sorry. : ) Go listen to the podcast and make your own weird rodent.

No comments:

Post a Comment