Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Moon River

I've been searching YouTube for recordings of people performing 'Moon River' from the movie BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S. It's been cool.

Why, you ask? Well, because I'm trying out for... something... involving theater and music... and singing is part of the audition. I picked 'Moon River' as my more quiet, contemplative song. You have to pick two for this particular audition, and they have to contrast. The other song I picked is 'They Call The Wind Mariah', which has a lot more oomph to it.

I've been looking at different performances to see how they interpreted the song, watching their facial expressions, movements, inflections, etc. There's a certain flavor that each one puts into their performance. Now that I've seen a few, I should be able to make my own informed interpretation.

This is the original Audrey Hepburn performance. It's a gem. Audrey's a gem. I love this song... and she sings it beautifully.




I'm all about being disciplined and not getting distracted and stuff... but I'd have stopped writing too if I were that guy. And I probably would have ignored that buzzer thing at the end and went down to talk with her and maybe sing with her for a bit, if she was cool with that. Not every day you find a girl who can sing AND plays the guitar AND looks just exactly like Audrey Hepburn.

Oh... and that part at the end where she asks him 'Whatcha doin?' and he says 'Writing,' and her face lights up?

I like this movie already.

I need to watch the whole thing someday. :) Now that I'm at a stopping place with the college/career stuff I was stressin' over... maybe I shall make time.

6 comments:

  1. I've actually never seen Breakfast at Tiffany's, impossible as that is to believe. But that clip made me want to.

    Good luck with your audition. I love both of the songs you've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. :) I need some good luck. They want a comedic monologue too, can you believe that? And it all has to fit in three minutes. For Pete's sake!

      Delete
  2. Yes. Yes you do need to watch the whole BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S.

    I'm sure you'll do great in your tryout! Good luck!

    Also, we must find you an Audrey Hepburn. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Movie party, anyone?

      Yes. If you can successfully connect me with an Audrey, I will likely name a wonderful and heroic character in a future book after you. :)

      Delete
  3. Hey, I haven't seen that movie either. But now I want to, too!

    And a comedic monologue...you have that in the bag, right? Your posts are hilarious.

    Let me know if you're ever down in southern Utah and need a date...I have a very cute friend who's at SUU and while she doesn't look like Audrey (she is very pretty though) she *IS* a writer...she writes YA and she's super talented. I'm just sayin' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes like this... my problem is... it's one thing making a fool of yourself with a keyboard, it's quite another making a fool of yourself in person. I'm always a little worried that my timing is off. But

      I must visit Southern Utah sometime. Erin is a great name for a wonderful and heroic character. Does your friend like Tex-Mex? ;)

      Delete