Monday, February 27, 2012

NaNoWriMo... now.

NaNoWriMo. You've heard of it. And if you haven't, this is what it is: every November is National Novel Writing Month. (Get it? Na... No... Wri... Mo...) The goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in one month. There's no time to self-edit. There's no time to revise. You just write your brains out every chance you get, splattering first-draftiness all over the page. Here's a link to the official site. Notice the word counter. Notice the humongous number.

Is that cool or what?

I've never done it.

I only heard about it last year, and I couldn't do it then. I want to do it this year. However, something tells me that this November is going to be a bad month for me. School, burnout from school, Thanksgiving (who picked November, anyway?) and work are among the possible reasons, although I don't have anything really concrete and I'll probably try it anyway come November.

But there's nothing stopping me from having my own personal Novel Writing Month. And it's going to be this March. Why? Well, I'm impatient. And I want another novel. And I don't know what's going to happen in November, but I have a pretty good idea what's going to happen this March - with the exception of work, I'm going to have free time. And March has 31 days, which gives me an advantage. :)

So, my friends, I will be writing 50,000 words this March, as well as attempting to keep up this blog on a somewhat regular basis.

I'm a little scared. I've never written anything that fast before. But I think I can do it. I don't KNOW I can do it, because I've never done it, but I think I can, and that's enough. I will be keeping you posted - I'll add a widget or something to the blog to show my progress, and I'll post updates, learning experiences, highlights and potentially (no promises) a regular post.

I'm so stoked. This is going to be awesome. It might be insane. But I want that novel, I want it by April, and by darn, I'm going to write it.

Any advice?

15 comments:

  1. Good luck! I think it's a super awesome goal. As for advice. Ok, here's what I came up with.

    #1: Stock up on snacks. Might I suggest peanut m&m's and popcorn? Or Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs?

    #2: Stay off the internet...which is excellent advice from the girl who is supposed to be writing and not wasting time on the internet.

    #3: Just do it! (Yep. that is a handy slogan)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snacks. Good thinking. I actually wouldn't have thought to stock up on snacks.

      Delete
    2. A port-a-potty, pistol (for the internal editor) and a soft cushion upon which to sit. For snacks, I'm partial to pop-tarts, pringles and chips ahoy! Best of luck to you. Not sure I could pull it off. I like to edit on the fly far too much. Maybe that's what the doctor ordered?

      Delete
    3. Hmm... a pistol... my budget for this thing was originally going to be quite small, however, I think I could splurge for a pistol. Nerf or airsoft?

      Delete
    4. Water. It'll keep you awake so you can hammer out all those words!

      Delete
  2. I personally LOVE NaNoWriMo. I've done it the last two years. It's hard hard hard! But in the end I love that in one month I have a whole manuscript. Then I spend about the next year revising and polishing.

    Erin is right, you have to stay off the internet and stay on task. And it's best if you have some kind of plot outline before you jump in. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks for the thoughts. I'm setting a rule for myself - unless I'm past my daily and total wordcount goals, I'm offline. Should work, hopefully.

      Delete
  3. I think this sounds like a great idea! I have a blog friend who just got signed by an agent for the national market. She mentioned in her blog post that she wanted to get her manuscript in to agents BEFORE the NaNoWriMo crowd finished their manuscripts and turned them in, so maybe doing it in March is serendipitous. Best of luck to you, and I look forward to hearing updates!

    (Although, like the Erin above says, don't be on the internet too long - you won't have time for stuff like that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the months following NaNoWriMo are pretty messy for agents and editors. As for me... I feel like if I wrote a novel in November there's no way I'd have it ready for submission so quickly.

      Delete
  4. Good luck in your endeavors! I have never done NaNoWriMo, but it would probably be good for me. I write reeaaallly slowly. What I really need is NaNoReMo--for revising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the wishing of luck, Rain. :)

      Delete
  5. Joseph, You can do it..and I'll cheer you on. I did NaNo this year and it. was. awesome. It is so good to force yourself to get through a daily word count and just keep writing.

    One thing that really helped my crit partners and I get through the month was that we posted our word count for the day and our last sentence to each other. You should do that on this blog...then we can all support you!

    I tried to write 2000 words a day which gave me some leeway for Thanksgiving, illness, LIFE. It worked and I made it.

    I am now revising my NaNo. So March will be NaNoEdMo for me...

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2000 words a day is a good goal. Win early, right? I think I'll aim for 2000. And a last sentence post is also a good idea. I shall ponder that.

      Delete
  6. 3 Facts About MyNoWriMo

    1. It's super catchy and fun to say.
    2. Katie didn't know what it was 5 minutes ago and had to keep hitting the "Older Posts" button at the bottom of the page to find out. It was like a mini treasure hunt.
    3. That's awesome! Very impressive. Way to go.

    I am writing a book too! :) It's titled, "The Distraction of Destruction". So far, that's all it's got. When the book finally does come out, I'll not only be the author but the poster girl as well. :o

    PS, what's your personal preference when writing? Music or no music?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music. Most of the time... but sometimes silence.

      Delete