Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Kiss Scene + MyNoWriMo Update

Yeah. There was a kiss scene today. It happened in the span between the 1,000 and 2,000 word count, or somewhere thereabouts. A little moment of bittersweet hope. It was kind of unexpected for me, as the writer - I knew that the two characters liked each other and all, but still. This is what was running through my mind today at work:

Should there be a love story in this book? 

Nah. I don't want to. There isn't room. There's too much else going on. It'd be a distraction. And... I just don't want to. 

But my characters wanted to, apparently. So I write this kiss scene... and it was unexpectedly sweet. I think, though, kisses and such things may be better when they aren't expected.

One of the two was a character who up until today I thought was a fairly minor character, an idea that made her way into my book. I'm not sure what to do with her, but she's done so well in every scene she's been in that she'll probably make it into the second draft. Maybe.



A city like this one has figured heavily into the last chunk of writing I've been doing. I've been exploring it, or my characters have - some of them many decades before the main story, when it was still thriving and full of people. I don't know if those parts will make it into the finished book, but I'm writing them anyway because it's part of the story, and I have to find out the reasons why the city is empty.


Daily - 3018
Total - 45233


"Can't stop there," he said aloud, without meaning to.
"What?" said Maylie.
"Nothing."
They left the books behind. He tried not to think about them.

2 comments:

  1. A little romance never hurts. ; )

    I think it's best to listen to my characters when they want to do stuff I didn't plan on. The usually have a better idea of where the story is going than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to agree with Kimberlee on this. Although I'm not into "chik-lit", you have to go where your characters lead.

    http://ladyofmuse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete