Monday, April 2, 2012

Have You Ever Wondered what Dragon Tastes Like?

This, my dear friends, is last week's Produce Adventure: DRAGONFRUIT.

By SMasters (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], via Wikimedia Commons
By SMasters (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], via Wikimedia Commons


(I'd have taken my own picture and shown you the one that we got, except for two problems: 1. my camera is not working and 2. we already ate the darn thing. The fruit, not the camera.)


Yall ever had one of these? I hadn't. My little grocery store where I work at doesn't even sell them. But last week there were some for sale at a larger grocery store in a nearby city, so we got one and shared it with the family.

It looks pretty weird, huh? That's what I said when I first saw it. My own father admitted that he was frightened of it, and he is a brave man.

They're about the size of a largish mango, maybe a little bigger. As far as ripeness goes, I think you'd be good with the color in the photo (classic Dragon green and red) although the one that we ate had more variation in color (a little more purple). Ours was also firm, but not hard, which is a good rule of thumb for lots of produce. Around the time we cut it, it gave about like a peach to the fingertouch.

One way to eat it is to slice it in half, just like the picture shows, straight down the middle. (This is also highly recommended as a dragon slaying technique.) Then you can take a spoon and scoop out the innards. It should come out pretty cleanly. When I scooped ours out, it came out all in one piece - kind of a pear shape and feel. You can eat kiwis and mangos the same way, I hear.

Don't eat the dragon skin - it's not good for you. And you probably wouldn't like it anyway.

The innards, on the other hand, taste EXACTLY like dragon! For those who have never had dragon, dragon tastes like a very mild, sweetish cucumber, with a hint of kiwi-ness. My two youngest brothers loved it, and scarfed most of it down between them. (As for myself, I was kind of like, meh. I've never liked cucumber much. Nor do I love dragon. I prefer hypogriff, with an orange glaze. But I liked dragonfruit better than cucumber.)

And this food seems to be low in allergy-ness... my two younger brothers are allergic to EVERYTHING and this didn't seem to bother them. But then, allergies are different for different people.

Okay, and since I'd never had any, I googled 'dragonfruit' to find out the best way to cut it, and this was the very helpful website I found. It has cool step-by-step pictures, too.

Question: What is YOUR favorite mythical beast entree?

5 comments:

  1. When you said your brothers ate it, my first thought was, "But they are allergic to everything!" I'm glad to know they seemed okay with it.

    I definitely need to get more adventurous with fruit and veggie eating at our house. I'm excited for summer, to try farmers' markets around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love fresh fruit and veggies. I have never tried dragon fruit, and so that is on my list the next time I go to the farmer's market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kind of disappointed. I was hoping to hear that dragon tastes like chicken. (Everything else does, right?) But I do love me a good cucumber on occasion.

    In this instance, I probably wouldn't be able to eat it. I'd be too mesmerized gazing at its magnificent uniqueness. Lovely thing, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite mythical entree is kraken. (Or squid, rather). Available at any high-end Asian restaurant. And to be honest, it was horrible. Like boiled rubber bands.

    Snails are also beastly. The French delicately refer to this culinary lunacy as "escargot", which, I suppose, is a phonetically rendered version of the uneasy sounds one's stomach makes after eating it.

    ReplyDelete