Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Thought About Writers As A Species

It has occurred to me that writers are people persons. Only, they keep to themselves.

Does that make sense?

For example, my spare time is often spent studying people. Listening to them, reading about them, watching them, imagining them, wondering why they do what they do... whether they're real people or pretend people (for all pretend people, regardless of their story, require real people to make them real. And all stories require real people to make them great.).

People fascinate me.

I also tend to spend a lot of time alone, and I'm fine with that... but the reason I choose to be a writer is because I love people, not the other way around. I think there are lots of writers who feel the same way - all of my favorite writers demonstrate a profound understanding of people, and deep understanding comes only through careful study and experience. And you only study something carefully if you care about it.

You might say that such a writer could be, deep down inside, a lonely (but not necessarily unhappy) people person. :)

1 comment: