Friday, April 6, 2012

Why Toss Out a Wonderful Book?

Okay, and I went to a thrift store today, and GUESS WHAT I FOUND?

This is one of my favorite books of all time. It's easily in my top five favorites. Why? Because... it's got such goodness in it. There are good books, as in, well written books, and then there are books with goodness, as in, depth and meaning. Y'know? This book is both. Those of you who have read it know what I'm talking about.

There are books that I love that I feel uneasy recommending on this blog, because they have stuff in them that I feel uneasy about. (I'm not ready for heaven yet... I still like books in spite of those things sometimes.) But I can wholeheartedly recommend this book without a single reservation.

It's a story about limits and being unlimited, loving learning and learning to love, flying and then flying. It's got depth to it - it's enjoyable simply as a fantastic story, but as I've read it again and again over the years, I have come to enjoy it more and more as it has gained meaning for me and I keep living life.

I can't believe it when I find books like this at thrift stores. What were the original owners thinking? Was there no one they could give it to, even if they didn't want it? Sheesh. At least they didn't toss it in the garbage. Their loss.

When I find them, I save books like this one. Even if I already have a copy, I can give them to people who also love books. It's an extension of my love of literature - love is only love if it's given.

Speaking of sharing good things... there are a couple of blogs that I want to talk about.

First - Reina Laaman has a brand new blog here. I've been following Rain since I first got on Blogger and I've always liked her blog - she's genuine, smart, and a good writer with a clean, smooth style. There's an honesty to her that is really hard for me to pin down, but it's why I follow her and read every post she writes. It's subtle, but it's great.

American Kate is a blogger with an eloquence that I only wish that I had at her age. I follow her blog for the following reasons of followingness:
1. She's delightfully eloquent - I know I already said that, but she is.
2. She tells it like it is in a unique way
3. She's got this goodness that you can feel through her posts. It was her posts about her family that got me to follow - she spoke of them with such affection that I thought 'I've gotta follow this one so that I can learn how to write about people like that!' (Read her earlier posts to learn what I'm talking about.)

The Inestimable Erin Shakespear has been doing fantastic writerly quotes on her blog as part of the A to Z blogging challenge. But don't go just for the quotes, although the quotes would be worth visiting for. I follow her for her sense of humor, quirky style, and warmth. Plus, she has a sweet logo.

Visit them, and if you like them, follow them. (Hey, and follow me, also. But go visit their blogs first.)

6 comments:

  1. There is a well known writer here in England called Rosemary Anne Sissons who is directly related to Shakespeare herself.
    She writes historical novels too.
    Personally, I cannot throw out a book. I have books that I just love and would never part with.
    Books, books, books...classics or modern, I don't care, they are all precious to me. Stuff Kindle or e-books, give me the printed book anyday! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. E-books have their uses... but there's nothing like the feel of a real book. And they don't need batteries and they won't suddenly die on you, either.

      Delete
  2. When I read that you like to buy books you already own so you can give them away someday I thought, "he must be related to Grandma." haha. I also love to own books and rarely get rid of them. I just went to Powell's City of Books on Friday (in Portland) and I wasn't prepared for how massive it is. All book lovers should go there at least once. I need to go back again with more time and money and just have a great day of finding tons of books to read and own. One day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found a real treasure. My dad always sends me used books he finds at bookstores and that's one he found and gave me a long, long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always intended to read this book. Thanks for reminding me about it.

    I love your blog. Nerdy writers' blogs are exactly what I've been scouring the internet for. Thanks for following mine!

    ReplyDelete