Monday, May 7, 2012

I'm Back

Ish.

Met my deadline.

It was good and hard, and required many bowls full of M&Ms. I'm not going to tell you if I wept bitter tears or not, because I didn't. I only wish I could have wept bitter tears, because it would have made a way better story.

So... I will probably begin to blog more.

Anyway... let's see... what interesting things happened today that I should share with you?

Oh, you remember my dear friend who loaned me C.S. Lewis' TILL WE HAVE FACES? Yes. Well, today I gave her the book back, and I loaned her some books from my personal library. Which reminded me how much I love books, so I think I'll talk about some random books from my library just because I like to talk about books.

And I'm too tired to do in-depth reviews, so if you want one of those, go to a different site. I'm just going to spew forth random loving thoughts.

THE LOSER'S GUIDE TO LIFE AND LOVE 
by A.E. Cannon


One of the very few books I've read that had me laughing out loud. You know. When you laugh so hard at a book that everybody around you gives you weird looks? Yeah, this book did that for me. I love A. E. Cannon. If you find this book (it's not terribly well known, which is sad) it's definitely worth the read. If you have read this book and you're curious which scene got me laughing so hard, it was the scene with the Trekkies. I love Trekkies.


THE COMPLETE SHERLOCK HOLMES 
by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle



Um... yeah, this one speaks for itself. Did you like the movies? You will like them more after reading the originals. The new Downey Jr. Holmes is a great, fresh interpretation of the Holmes character, and I feel like somehow, despite how irritating the new Holmes is to those around him, he's still true to the original in the most important places.

As far as classics go, I'm kind of on the skeptical and pragmatic side. I don't feel like I have to like classics just because they're classics. For example, Moby Dick. I don't like Moby Dick, and it's a classic. Sue me. It's not a novel, it's three or four doctorate dissertations' worth of writing on whales. This is one instance where the book is not as good as the movie. Which Moby Dick movie am I referring to? Pick one. It's still better than the book.

Sherlock Holmes is a classic that EARNED it.



THE SILMARILLION
by J.R.R. Tolkien


You're not a real Ringer* until you've read this. I'm jus' sayin'. :)



*slang term for a fan of The Lord of the Rings, in case you were wondering.

6 comments:

  1. Your last line Rings true to me, dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wish that Tolkien had written more.

      Delete
  2. I love Sherlock Holmes!

    I feel the same way about Charles Dickens. It is great and wonderful that everyone thinks that anything he wrote is a classic, but I have yet to read a single thing of his that I like (and I have read nearly everything he has written just trying to find something.) To each his own, even with "classics."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherlock is the man. That's all there is to it.

      You know, I actually liked 'A Tale of Two Cities'... once I got past the massive boring part. And 'A Christmas Carol' is a favorite of mine. (Dang, I should add that to my 'Favorites' list.) But I hear yah. To each their own.

      Delete
  3. :) I just found your blog. I must say you're pretty hilarious :) I loved Sherlock Holmes as a kid.

    ReplyDelete