Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells (And His Miniature)

I've been stuck lately.

It's tough.

This second draft is a killer. But today, I am going to go to a quiet place, and sit down, and write the next thing, because that's what writers do, I hear.

This is what I did in my stuck place.


H.G. Wells is one of my favorite science fiction writers. So I acquired and painted up a 28mm miniature tribute to his famous novella: The Invisible Man. This miniature is available from Reaver Miniatures, although I got mine off of Amazon for a very reasonable price.

And now, presenting: one of the most compelling literary science fiction villains of all time.

I like the pose, although it keeps his face in shadow.
Steampunk goggles. How awesome is that?


Check out the 'empty' sleeves, and the invisible hand grabbing his jacket. COOL.


But now, I must be a professional and get back to work. Painting is one of the things that fills my cup as a writer. But one does not have to wait until the cup is full, just as one shouldn't wait until the cup is empty. Y'know?


4 comments:

  1. Very cool! And it'll lend atmosphere to your space, and sometimes that's all you need to help you get unstuck. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Atmosphere... sometimes I forget about atmosphere. But that is important. Today I'm heading off to a library for the perfect writing atmosphere.

      Should be good.

      Delete
  2. I have never read this book but maybe I will have to...

    I just got a new book from the library and started it last night. I showed it to my husband and he said "Oh, it's Steampunk." and I just looked at him completely clueless. I didn't know that was a thing. The first chapter was good though so I think I will keep reading it. I guess I will just have to add one more thing to my repertoire of nerdy things I enjoy. ;)

    Oh and the book is Levianthan by Scott Westerfeld.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend this book. H.G. Wells had a GREAT grasp on what the implications of invisibility would be.

      And Steampunk is awesome.

      Delete