Saturday, July 21, 2012

Steampunk Art and A Machete





As part of my re-entry into semi-regular blogging, I wanted to show you pictures of my next project. 

Steampunk art. What you see here are bits and pieces I've gathered together from various places. The leaf came off of some junk from a thrift store. The gearish looking bits and the six-sided nut came from an antique store. The watch is an old broken one of mine. The brass buttons and the flower filigree came from craft stores and a department store.


Yes. It's going to be awesome. I have the glue, I have some brass rod, and I have a camera with which to show you the finished project. If I like it, I'll probably do something more complicated next time - maybe even build a robot like some of the pieces I've seen online.

While I was searching for tiny bits of junk, I also found THIS.


It's an honest-to-goodness MACHETE. Yeah. $2.00, at an antique store. It's dull as a stick of Laffy Taffy right now, but you know what? It doesn't have to stay that way. I've got it hanging on the wall above my writing desk.

A beloved friend of mine asked me "What are you going to do with a machete?" She sounded confused, like she had no clue what a machete might be useful for if you're a writer and a nerd.

"Sharpen it," I said.

"And then what?"

Girls just don't understand sometimes why a man needs a machete. I'm going to shave with it, of course. C'mon. Rackin' up  the man-points, that's what life is all about.


4 comments:

  1. OOOH Steampunk...my favourite! What are you going to do with it? I've seen some fantastic jewellery made from bits and pieces.

    As for your machete...well, it may come in handy during a Zombie attack, or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love steampunk and so I will be waiting on pins and needles (or gears and..erm...springs?) until you show us this mysterious project when it's finished.

    And a machete? Who *doesn't* need a machete? Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been missing your posts! Welcome back! I loved seeing your mom and brothers here in WA last week. You and your older siblings need to plan a trip soon so we can see you as well. :) Can't wait to see what you build with your pile of stuff because to me that is all I see. A pile of stuff (my creativity is at 0).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading your post. Tried to explain to Ryan about steampunk, but couldn't quite get the point across, so you will have to show your finished product so he can understand.
    As for man-points, I read your other post with the alligator and it made me think of that Florida kid who lost his arm to one last week. Seriously, this kid won like 500 man-points.

    http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/national/fred-langdale-today-show-interview-alligator-victim-describes-fighting-off-gator-before-losing-arm

    ReplyDelete