Monday, August 6, 2012

How To Write When You Can't Write

Hey, thought I'd talk about writing for like, a few seconds.

Here is what you do when you absolutely, positively, cannot force yourself to write. When the world has ended and you've lost everything and you never really should have decided to be a writer in the first place because how on EARTH are you ever going to be able to afford the therapy that you're going to need from torturing yourself so and the opposite sex doesn't like you and your cookie dough ice cream fell off of your cone (seriously, of all the things on the list, the ice cream falling is the saddest one...)

No, but really. When you have no energy to write, then here's what you do.

"I will write four sentences."

And that is all.

Now, this is not an every day thing. This is just a survival situation type of thing.

But you only write four sentences.

Anybody can write four sentences. And they can be crappy sentences.

And if you write five, then hey, you did an extra 25% more than what you were planning on doing. And you are a good person, and I like you. You may even do what I did, and end up writing a whole lot more than four sentences.

:)

Try it. Life is the pits sometimes and sometimes you burn out. (I'm, like, totally burned out right now.) But I can do four sentences. And that is okay.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't tried that tactic before, but I get where you're coming from. Something is better than nothing, even if it's really bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, sir. I get it completely. Not with writing so much, but with things in life in general. I feel like I am in a bit of a rut and some days I just have to say, "just do this one little thing and life will be a success for the day."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice! Because writing is addictive, and nobody can really stop at just four sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, you got an award over on my blog: http://thebloggingofanaspiringwriter.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/writers-update-and-liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete