Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Building a Fantasy City - Transportation

In the course of my world-building I've come upon a problem: how do I provide transportation for the hundreds of thousands of people that live in my fantasy city?

I can't just have them all walk. The world I'm building has turn-of-the-century technology (late 1800s/early 1900s) so we're in that period when horses are beginning to be phased out in favor of more reliable and less poop-producing technology (the automobile being among them.)

So I was looking for something for public transit... and I found this.


It's a horse drawn trolley! It runs along a rail, but it's pulled by a horse or two. Fascinating, eh? Think how much quieter it would have been. And likely (since it moved much slower) less people got run over by them. I think I'll include these in my fantasy world, since it's a cool idea and I need some kind of public transit that isn't buses or strictly trains.

Here's another pic of a horse-drawn trolley hub.


It fits into my world. Even though I'm not personally a great fan of horses, they're going to be included. Thanks to Wikipedia for these lovely public domain images and a great little article about horse-drawn trolleys. (Seriously, what did we do before Wikipedia?)

4 comments:

  1. Before Wikipedia was ignorance. Ignorance and the Encyclopedia Britanica. Which was anti-ignorance. So...I guess we were just ignorant for a little longer. Or maybe we're just ignorant at a much higher pace now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah. Yes. I think we're probably ignorant at a much higher pace now.

      Delete
  2. Yay for Wikipedia! These horse-drawn trolleys sound and look like a pretty awesome idea. Kinda cute :) If they fit into your world, then go for it!

    ReplyDelete