Thursday, November 22, 2012

Fried Turkey Hearts

Today my dad and my little brother fried turkey hearts. We live kinda out in the boondocks and you can get things like that around here from your neighbors. Why on earth they decided getting a bag of turkey hearts from the neighbors was a good idea... They had me eat one. I was pretty apprehensive, but they both INSISTED that turkey hearts are delicious.

I put it in my mouth.

Chewed.

And chewed.

And chewed.

And chewed and chewed and chewed.

Swallowed.

"Okay," I said. "That's disgusting."

My dad looked offended and my brother thought I was crazy.

"I coulda told you that!" laughed my Dear Mother.

Yep. Another thing to add to the list of Weird Things I've Eaten. Anyway. The rest of the turkey was WAY better. Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

  1. When I was MUCH younger, my mom used to get all of her poultry and eggs from a local farmer. He would actually deliver EVERY Fri. night. One dish that she made had chicken hearts in it. I didn't know what they were but I really liked them... until ONE day that I realized exactly what they were. I mean complete with mental images of them in their original context and the path they took to get on my fork.

    After that, they actually started to taste odd to me.

    Now, when I sometimes see them in the butcher section of the grocery, it brings back the whole strange journey from blissful ignorance, to enlightened suspicion.

    However, I'd give almost anything to have my late mother make that dish for me again.

    Turkey hearts, are probably considerably larger and from the description, much more chewy. Perhaps the preparation is questionable? I'm sure there is an awesome French bistro recipe somewhere with Anthony Bourdain's signature all over it.

    ReplyDelete