Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Hobbit and Other Treasures of Bookness

I found the most delightful used book store today. The gentleman running it was an older fellow with an accent that said he was from back East and a ready smile. He loves books as much as I do. He was delighted when I selected a few of his wonderfully priced books to take home with me.


I love this edition of the Hobbit. Why? Illustrations.


Books love illustrations. Especially wonderfully done ones like the ones in this book.


It's beautifully done. Absolutely beautiful.

Okay, I also found this gem.



The description inside begins like this:

A DICTIONARY OF THE UNDERWORLD

British & American

Being the Vocabularies of

CROOKS    CRIMINALS   RACKETEERS

BEGGARS   and    TRAMPS

CONVICTS

THE COMMERCIAL UNDERWORLD

Etc. etc. It was first published in 1949. And it's got criminal speak from the 1600s on. I couldn't believe my good luck finding it. Now I'll be able to give a perfect slang to my characters who I'm setting in a 1930's era steampunkesque world. Augh! I'm so excited to pore over these pages! Holy moly!


3 comments:

  1. That is so cool! Is it the store across the street from Broulims?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Fantastic little bookstore. Tiny, really. But fantastic.

      Delete
  2. Great illustrations. I love illustrations. (And I just tried to wipe from my monitor what turned out to be one of your little fish. LOL Yeah, been a long day.)

    ReplyDelete